What’s on my mind today? Number Eleven.
We’re several episodes into the new season of Doctor Who. I’ve held off posting about it until I’d watched enough to form some solid opinions.
Overall, my reaction is favorable.
What I like:
- I like that each episode feels like a story (Huzzah, Steven Moffat!), rather than just another alien hell-bent on badness and needing to be stopped.
- I like the ongoing mystery of the crack in the wall, the crack in time, whatever it is. Again, good storytelling.
- I like Amy Pond (and not just because she has a great name). I like that she mixes things up, gets in the Doctor’s face and in his way. I like that she sometimes has the answers. (I just hope she doesn’t always have the answers.)
What I don’t like:
- The changes to the theme song. Bleayah.
- The bits and baubles of the TARDIS. Is it made from a pinball machine? I don’t get it. It feels comical, which for me robs it of its wonder. And if the TARDIS is anything, it is wonder.
What’s growing on me (or rather Who’s):
- The Doctor. I think Matt Smith is doing a great job. But he’s not David Tennant and part of me really, REALLY misses Number X. I have full confidence that Matt Smith will grow into the role — and quickly at that — but right now it’s like there’s a disconnect between Smith’s delivering of lines and his physical acting. If he tries to do both at once, both suffer. That will improve, I hope, and in the meantime I will have to rewind to catch what I’ve missed in his mumblings.
Mostly, I’m relieved to find my love of the show — of the premise — goes beyond my fondness of David Tennant as the Doctor. And that’s how it should be, right? That’s what has made the show last for so many seasons. I hope it continues to get better and better. I still look forward to seeing where they end up every week. 🙂
So what about you? What do you think of Number 11? Likes? Dislikes? What’s growing on you?